Saturday, June 26, 2010

First Wave Feminism

When listening to the lecture I found that it was very neat that two women in New York met for tea and started talking about how they were being treated unfairly. The fact that these two women took it upon themselves to stand up for the rest of the women during this time period is amazing. I think that if women tried to do that today it could be done but then again many people have good idea's but just don't know how to get them out there.
I do believe that racism and classism divides us today but not from the feminist movements. I think we are all out their for ourselves and people forget to help other people. The fact that these two women had these feelings and started small to see how other women felt mad a big difference. People today I feel like if they get what they want they don't care about anything else. A lot of us women take women's suffrage for granite and it wasn't even that long ago. Some countries are still fighting for the right to vote.
This reminds me of a few years ago when gays were trying to get their right to be married. They had to fight for their right to be like everyone else and I didn't really understand that till after this lecture.
I am lucky to live in this century and not have to fight for my rights because of the first wave feminist! But as women living in this world today we still have a lot left to do to really make women equal to men.

No comments:

Post a Comment